Hugh B. Hughes, Sr. started the funeral business on September 22, 1929 on West Pettebone Street and Wyoming Avenue, Forty Fort. Hugh B. Hughes, Sr. was raised in Luzerne and was one of 12 children. His father Gailard had stables with horses and owned horse drawn carriage hearses. His father provided horse drawn carriages to area funeral homes. At that time funerals and embalming were all done in private residences, so in 1937, Mr. Hughes, Sr. saw an opportunity to relieve grieving families of preparing their homes for this process. He purchased land at 1044 Wyoming Avenue, Forty Fort. He built the current funeral home which has had many additions. He tried to create an atmosphere of peace and beauty. In this serene atmosphere Hugh B. Hughes, Sr. instilled in his staff the value of courteous service and attention to detail. He provided this to all of the families he served. This tradition is still carried out today.
Hugh B. Hughes, Jr., attended the American Academy of Funeral Service in New York City and worked at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home in New York City. Hugh Jr., was licensed in 1957 and returned home. He continued to work with his father providing service to area families. In 1970 he became a full partner and the business was incorporated in 1979 with Hugh Jr., serving as President and Supervisor. Mr. Hughes, Sr. died in 1994 at the age of 95.
Hugh Jr., continued to serve as President and Supervisor until his retirement in 1995. Hugh Jr., died in 2004.